Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

ROCH CASTLE

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 102780

Cyfeirnod Map SM82SE

Cyfeirnod Grid SM88032121

Awdurdod Lleol Sir Penfro

Hen Sir Penfro

Cymuned Nolton and Roch

Math o Safle CASTELL

Dosbarth Cyffredinol AMDDIFFYN

Cyfnod Canoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Roch Castle was first built circa 1200 by Adam de Rupe or de la Roche, founder of Pill Priory, Milford. The present castle has been dated by G.T. Clark to circa 1270. Though built for defence, it appears to have been adapted to habitation with freestone windows and fireplaces. The de la Roche estates were broken up in the fifteenth century and the castle was then ruinous. It was garrisoned for the royal cause during the Civil War and beseiged in 1644. From 1901-4 it was restored and made habitable for Sir J. Wynford Philipps Bt of Picton, later Viscount St Davids, to the designs of D.E. Thomas of Haverfordwest. Further works were carried out in 1910 and circa 1918-20, the latter by D.F. Ingleton.

The castle has a 'D' shaped plan and is a tall single structure with projecting chambers and stands on an isolated rock outcrop surrounded by a mosted enclosure.

RCAHMW, 17 February 2009

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Adnoddau Ar-lein