Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

GLENDOWER STREET CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH; GLENDOWER HOUSE, MONMOUTH

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 10896

Cyfeirnod Map SO51SW

Cyfeirnod Grid SO50861276

Awdurdod Lleol Sir Fynwy

Hen Sir Mynwy

Cymuned Monmouth

Math o Safle CAPEL, TY

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Glendower Street Congregational is a chapel of exceptional sophistication and elaboration of design and one of the earliest Italianate chapels in Wales. The main entrance facade to the road is of three bays with the central entrance flanked by square section Tuscan Order attached columns, with round attached Corinthian-style columns flanking the central doorway and round-headed window above in the space between. These unusually elaborate full-height columns support a cornice crowned by an open balustrade. This flat top to the entrance wall is continued over the recessed flanking bays which have rectangular windows on the ground floor surrounded by a raised architrave and round-headed windows above. The wall is stuccoed. This chapel was built in 1834 and rebuilt in 1844 by architect William Armstrong and builder Benjamin Lawrence of Monmouth. In 1996 the chapel stood derelict but in 2002 the building was transformed into a dwelling, winning awards for quality of design and renovation work (ex inf. current occupant). There were originally galleries on three sides of the interior. Glendower House is now Grade 2* Listed as an outstanding 1840's classical chapel which has retained its character destpite conversion to domestic use.

RCAHMW, May 2004

Chofnodion Archifol