Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

BETHEL WELSH BAPTIST CHAPEL, MARINE STREET, SEA SIDE, LLANELLI

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 12093

Cyfeirnod Map SS59NW

Cyfeirnod Grid SS5039499374

Awdurdod Lleol Sir Gaerfyrddin

Hen Sir Caerfyrddin

Cymuned Llanelli

Math o Safle CAPEL

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Bethel Baptist Chapel was built in 1850 in the Classical style with a gable entry plan. It was the first example of a group of surpisingly sophisticated full classical temple chapel designs, unusual in Wales as whole, almost certainly by architect Henry Rogers, a member of the second generation of local carpenter/architects. The design was also important in establishing the use of distinctive large simple and elegant name and date plaques in the centre of classical pediments. The front three bays, with their windows headed by Italianate Tuscan tracery, are separated by attached flat-profile Tuscan columns (`pilasters'). These are topped by capitals with idiosyncratic fluted ornament, which in subsequent chapels in Llanelli is replaced by plainer and more architecturally correct forms. The central wooden-columned porch was also copied on subsequent Baptist chapels in Llanelli, this one has a distinctive Italianate Balustrade on top. The cast-iron gates and railings are fine examples of the products of local iron foundries, a common feature of chapels in Wales. The seated capacity in 1905 was 850 which meant the chapel was slightly above average size for a Llanelli Chapel, as was the Sunday School provision of 300 places. A chapel house for the caretaker was also provided. Bethel is now Grade 2 Listed.

RCAHMW, May 2011

Chofnodion Archifol