Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

ST PETER'S CHURCH, MILL ROAD, DINAS POWIS

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 14294

Cyfeirnod Map ST17SE

Cyfeirnod Grid ST1535571487

Awdurdod Lleol Bro Morgannwg 

Hen Sir Morgannwg

Cymuned Dinas Powys

Math o Safle EGLWYS

Cyfnod 20fed Ganrif

Disgrifiad o´r Safle St Peter's is located on low-lying ground by the Cadoxton River, a short distance north of the village centre, and set back from Mill Road, replacing an earlier iron church in nearby Highwalls Road (NPRN 420687).
The church was designed by J.Coates Carter, the notable Glamorgan architect, in 1927 and built after his death in 1929-30, omitting the originally planned tower and north aisle. It was built in a simple late medieval, Perpendicular, style of coursed yellow stone with grey tooled ashlar dressings; the roof of small slates with sprocketed and slightly swept eaves; much of its masonry derived from the old Cyfarthfa ironworks. The plan comprises nave, wide but shallow south porch (of two storeys), south aisle, chancel and north vestry. The chancel is only marginally shorter than the nave.
The interior is of unrendered dressed stone blocks. The open timber roof is of Columbian pine with four trusses of tie-beam, collar and queen posts to nave, with two similar lower to chancel. Furnishings throughout are of light oak, and there is a screen to a side chapel at the south-east. At the west is a baptistry arched recess with low font on a thick round stem and deep plinth, given by Sunday School scholars in 1936.
Source: extracts from Cadw Listing description

RCAHMW, 15 December 2014

Chofnodion Archifol