Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

TOWN HALL;OLD GUILDHALL, SOMERSET PLACE, SWANSEA

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 145

Cyfeirnod Map SS69SE

Cyfeirnod Grid SS6607992929

Awdurdod Lleol Abertawe 

Hen Sir Morgannwg

Cymuned Castle (Swansea)

Math o Safle NEUADD TREF

Dosbarth Cyffredinol SIFIL

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle The Old Guildhall, Swansea was first built 1825-29 by Thomas Bowen, a local builder, to designs by John Collingwood, architect of Gloucester. It was enlarged and entirely remodelled between 1848-52 by William Richards of Swansea to plans by Thomas Taylor, architect of London; dated 1848 over entrance. There were later extensions and alterations to north and east sides and the interior was remodelled (partly by C J Phipps of London, 1870). The building has Corinthian order columns (capitals modelled on Temple of Jupitor Stator in Rome) and tall round-arched windows with architraves, lion masks and heads to the keyblocks. It ceased use as a Guildhall in 1934 and in the late 1930s served as a Juvenile Employment Centre. After a period of disuse, the building was substantially refurbished in 1995 and reopened as 'The Dylan Thomas Centre', being officially opened by Ex- President of the USA. Jimmy Carter

Reference: Cadw listed building database.

Chofnodion Archifol