Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

ST ILLTYD'S; ST ILLTUDS CHURCH

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 171

Cyfeirnod Map SS96NE

Cyfeirnod Grid SS96626872

Awdurdod Lleol Bro Morgannwg 

Hen Sir Morgannwg

Cymuned Llantwit Major

Math o Safle EGLWYS

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol, Canoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle St Illtyd's is a complex medieval church with twelfth century origins. The church is split into four main parts -the first lies to the far west and is a ruined structure, perhaps a former chapel. The chancel and an aisled nave with an early thirteenth century tower form the second and third parts whilst a long aisle-less structure to the west known as the 'Western Church' forms the fourth. The eastern section of the church, comprising the nave and chancel, is in Early English style - particularly noticable in the windows. There are the remains of piscinas in the north and south aisles and restored medieval murals. The circular Norman font has a scale design. The 'Western Church' houses a number of ninth and tenth century crosses associated with the monastic foundation at Llantwit Major. Restorations were carried out in 1889 and 1905, and a major refurbishment was undertaken in the mid to late twentieth century.

source CADW listed buildings database; additional information from Pevsner, 'Glamorgan', 1995, pp. 406-9

J Hill, RCAHMW 3 October 2003

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig

Adnoddau Ar-lein