Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

NEWTON HOUSE; DYNEVOR CASTLE;PLAS DINEFWR, LLANDEILO

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 17603

Cyfeirnod Map SN62SW

Cyfeirnod Grid SN6143222531

Awdurdod Lleol Sir Gaerfyrddin

Hen Sir Caerfyrddin

Cymuned Llandeilo

Math o Safle PLASTY

Dosbarth Cyffredinol DOMESTIG

Cyfnod 17eg Ganrif, Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Newton House is set amidst extensive parland, grounds and gardens (NPRN 266170) partly designed by Capability Brown between 1775 ande 1778. It is reached by a pictureseque driveway from an entrance lodge on the Carmarthen Road.

It is a grand restoration mansion built between 1660 and 1670 for Sir Edward Rice and illustrated in contemporary oil paintings, the house is possibly on the site of a Tudor predessesser, Newton being a borough associated with Dinefwr Castle (NPRN 425). First mentioned in 1297, the early Newton House is described in a survey of 1532 as having a large hall, chapel and tower. The seventeenth century paintings show the new mansion set amid grand formal gardens and a newly established park, and it seems likely that its construction involved the removal of the borough that was the setting for the earlier house. A three storey house set above vaulted cellars, it had a symmetrical seven-bay facade with a central entrance, and an engraving of 1773 shows small corner turrets and battlements.

Around 1720 the interior was extensivley refitted, and between 1856 and 1857 century the exterior was encased in stonework of a Victorian Gothic style. Angle turrets with machicolations and crenellations, a large porch, heraldic sheilds and a quatrefoil pierced parapet amoung the additions to the facade designed by RK Penson of Oswestry. The west elevation is the most decorative with crenellated and corbelled cornices, corbelled balconies, pinnacles, flying buttresses and an elaborate Gothic stone verandah on the ground floor. At this time the formal gardens were laid out around the house (see NPRN 23037-8).

Internally the house largely features the early eighteenth century interiors, although the dining room retains the seventeenth century coffered ceiling enriched with low plaster relief mouldings, and with further there is furtherv seventeenth century plasterwork and a coffered ceiling in the drawing room. The seventeenth century staircase also survives, although with some nineteenth century additions, and the entrance hall itself has had a nineteenth century ribbed and bossed ceiling inserted. The first floor has good survival of its eighteenth century fittings, and the upper floor has a remarkable survival of a Georgian bed recess. The basement retains vaulted cellars, a strong room and slate shelving for a wine store.

To the south of the house various offices and outbuildings are laid out around two courts, the nearest replacing outbuildings depicted in the seventeenth century (NPRN 404064).

Sources: NMR Site File
Moore in Archaeologia Cambrensis 143 for 1994 (1996), 204-235
CADW Register of Parks & Gardens in Wales: Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion & Pembrokeshire (2002), 68-73
CADW Listed Buildings Database (11098)

RCAHMW, 27 July 2009.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig

Adnoddau Ar-lein