Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

BEAUPRE FARMHOUSE;OLD BEAUPRE CASTLE, FARMHOUSE

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 17999

Cyfeirnod Map ST07SW

Cyfeirnod Grid ST00907202

Awdurdod Lleol Bro Morgannwg 

Hen Sir Morgannwg

Cymuned Llanfair (The Vale of Glamorgan)

Math o Safle FFERMDY

Dosbarth Cyffredinol DOMESTIG

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle 1. Much altered. Chamfered stone doorframe. Narrow blocked pointed-arch stone doorframe with flight of outside stone steps. Embodies parts of castle. Int. beams and panelling? [See also Old Beaupre for earlier part (scheduled A.M.).]
2. NAR ST07SW13
Associated with:
Old Beaupre Castle (Nprn19488)
Barn (Nprn37623).
J.Wiles 29.01.03

Tree-ring dating reported in vernacular Architecture 38 (2007):

9. ST HILARY, Old Beaupré Farmhouse (ST 8727 9406) Felling date: Winter 1593/4
Transverse beams (1/4) 1593(32C); Principal rafters 1562(H/S), 1553(H/S). Site Master 1423-1593 OLDBPRE (t = 6.1 neu1; 5.9 OLDIMTN; 5.9 PENSFORD)
Old Beaupré Castle was owned by the Basset family from the early-fourteenth century to 1709, by which time all of the major buildings on the site had been built. The history of the development of the buildings has been analysed and published in detail by RCAHMW in Glamorgan: The Greater Houses (Cardiff, 1981), 46-76, esp. 61-2. The fortified manor house, has three courtyards. The east range in the Inner Court (Block C in RCAHMW's account) has been a farmhouse since the eighteenth century. The walls are of coursed stone rubble with ashlar quoins. RCAHMW identified the range as having medieval origins, probably functioning as the principal service range for the Basset's house. The northern room of the farmhouse is dominated by the former kitchen, with two huge fireplaces. Running through this kitchen, on its west side, is an enclosed gallery with an inserted floor above. One of the gallery beams has a graffito reading `I Bvtler 1664'. A central truss with trenched purlins has a chamfered collar secured by notch-lap joints. The beams of all ground-floor ceilings have broad chamfers with torus and hollow stops. One of these beams has produced the felling date of winter 1593/4, and the dates from the ceiling truss suggest that it is contemporary with the gallery. This indicates that Block C was remodelled by Richard Basset as part of his redevelopment of Old Beaupré during the period 1586-1600. Dating commissioned by Cadw as part of a wider study of the history and development of Old Beaupré and Oxwich Castles to be published in the near future. (R.F.Suggett/RCAHMW/July 2007)

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig