Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

LLOYDS BANK, MOUNT STUART SQUARE, BUTETOWN

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 19369

Cyfeirnod Map ST17SE

Cyfeirnod Grid ST1899874714

Awdurdod Lleol Caerdydd

Hen Sir Morgannwg

Cymuned Butetown

Math o Safle BANC

Dosbarth Cyffredinol MASNACHOL

Cyfnod 19eg Ganrif

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Located at the north-east corner of Mount Stuart Square this large corner building, formerly Lloyds Bank, was built in 1891 to the design of the architect E. W. M. Corbett.

It is a three-storey Italianate building with seven bays to the east and five to the north with an additional single-storey bay on the northern side. There is an additional, slightly recessed bay at the north-west corner. The building is built of coursed grey stone with bathstone dressings. The first storey is of rusticated bathstone with windows in round arches separated by pilasters. The entrance is in the corner bay through a double doorway under a cornice with pulvinated frieze supported by pink granite columns on tall plinths. Above the door is the word ‘BANK’ in stone relief. The second-storey windows are sash windows under triangular pediments carried on brackets. The building is topped by an entablature with a heavy bathstone cornice and yellow-brick chimneys.

Internally, a triangular wooden lobby leads to the dark oak panelled banking hall, with dark oak counters, original office partitions, and Roman Doric columns supporting beams with egg and dart decoration.

(Sources: Victorian Society Tour Notes, VS01/16; Cadw Listed Buildings Database)
A.N. Coward, RCAHMW, 18.06.2018

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol