Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod


Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 20001

Cyfeirnod Map ST17SE

Cyfeirnod Grid ST1904074419

Awdurdod Lleol Caerdydd

Hen Sir Morgannwg

Cymuned Butetown

Math o Safle TY TAFARN

Dosbarth Cyffredinol MASNACHOL, HAMDDEN

Cyfnod 19eg Ganrif

Disgrifiad o´r Safle This public house was licenced in 1855, but the present structure was constructed in 1882 to the design of E. W. M. Corbett and was altered a decade later in 1892 by B. J. Grylls. The condition of the building had deteriorated considerably by the 1990s and was consequentially heavily renovated in 1997 when a 1970s single-storey extension to the west of the building was demolished. Further work to the southern end of the building to make it more accessible for those with mobility difficulties was carried out in c.2008.

Known as ‘Big Windsor’ to distinguish it from the ‘Windsor Arms’, situated on the opposite side of Stuart Street, the public house achieved international culinary fame following the Second World War under Chef Abel Magneron. A stone plaque to the right of the main entrance notes that: ‘IN THE DIFFICULT DAYS FOLLOWING THE WAR 1939-45 ABEL MAGNERON 1890-1954 HERE ACHIEVED A GASTRONOMIC STANDARD WHICH CONTRIBUTED TO THE FUTHER GLORY OF THE ENTENTE CORDIALE’. Despite his death in 1954, Magneron’s family continued the business until 1967 when the building closed due to fire. Several other businesses have occupied the site since, including a public house operated by Bass Tavern Ltd and a branch of the Cardiff-based Indian restaurant group Juboraj.

The formerly-detached three-storey building is located at the corner of Stuart Street and Stuart Place, Harbour Point Apartments having been built around the turn of the twenty-first century to the rear (west). The building is stuccoed, the first storey channelled with some pebble dash. The Big Winsor faces Stuart Place to the east. The eastern face is five bays wide with the central bay slightly advanced. The main entrance is through double doors set in a shallow portico with four columns above which is a shallow balcony in front of a tripartite second-storey window articulated by pilasters supporting an entablature with medallions. Above this is another central tripartite window. The other windows in the eastern façade are sash windows with simple architraves, the second-storey windows horned. The northern side of the building, facing Stuart Street, is of four bays. Six first-storey windows are set in an arcade of round-headed arches with archivolts and keystones, articulated by pilasters. The spandrels are filled with designs of vines and grapes. To the south of the building a space enclosed by an iron railing. The building is topped by a modillion cornice and a parapet which partially obscures the hipped roof.

(Sources: ‘Big Windsor Survey’, NMR Archive C402618; Emergency Recording Collection for NPRN 20001; Cadw Listed Buildings Database; Victorian Society Tour Notes, VS01/16)
A.N. Coward, RCAHMW, 09.07.2018

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol