Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

ST PADARN'S CHURCH, LLANBADARN FAWR

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 236

Cyfeirnod Map SO06SE

Cyfeirnod Grid SO0869764300

Awdurdod Lleol Powys 

Hen Sir Maesyfed

Cymuned Llanbadarn Fawr (Powys)

Math o Safle EGLWYS

Cyfnod 19eg Ganrif, Canoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle The parish church of Llanbadarn Fawr in Powys (formerly Radnorshire). The current church was completely rebuilt in 1878-9 on the site of a former, probably twelfth-century church which consisted of only a single nave or aisle. Geraldus Cambrensis may have visited the former church in 1176. The current church consists of a nave with a slightly narrower chancel. A new vestry was built in 1905, the former vestry now housing the organ. There is a porch to the south over which there is a tower and spire. Of particular interest is the preservation of the medieval south door which is highly ornamental. The arch above the door has a plain chamfered hood-mould and two recessed orders. Set within the arch is an image of a tree growing out of the head of an animal (or perhaps a human with long ears) flanked by two lions with trefoil tails. The western lion is reared up on its hind legs and under his forepaws is a rayed sun inside a circle. The lintel underneath has a tau pattern resting on brackets carved with heads, although the eastern one has been defaced. The arch rests on two abacuses the western with a snake with the head broken off, the eastern with lozenges. On either side of the door are columns, the capital of the western column bearing human figures, possibly Adam and Eve, with a head between then, the eastern bears fantastical animals. The Victorian door in the middle is painted purple. A Roman stone is secured to the western internal wall of the porch with the inscription ‘VALFLAVINI’, said to have been found during the demolition of the old church. High on the eastern wall are two Norman corbels, a Janus-type head and a sheila-na-gig.

(Sources: Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Wales and Monmouthshire, III County of Radnor (RCAHMW: 1913), pp. 59-60; Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, Radnorshire Churches Survey)

A.N. Coward 12.04.2018

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol