Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod


Manylion y Safle

NPRN 265945

Cyfeirnod Map SO30NE

Cyfeirnod Grid SO3677009131

Awdurdod Lleol Sir Fynwy

Hen Sir Mynwy

Cymuned Llanarth (Monmouthshire)


Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle 1. Parklands & Gardens of Wales No:PGW.GT15
Includes/associated with: Lodge (Nprn36685)
Associated with: House (Nprn36684).
RCAHMW AP94-CS 1455-6
RCAHMW AP945159/47

Clytha Park is a well preserved late l8th-century landscape park (1790s) with outstanding well preserved folly and the structural remains of contemporary ornamental garden and kitchen garden.

The house in Classical style was built on an artificial mound for William Jones the younger by Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury between l82l and l828 near an older site. It had a small orangery.

Jones's work includes the Gothick gateway, screen and lodge at the park entrance, and Clytha Castle, a fine Gothick castellated, largely two-dimensional eye-catcher folly on the top of the hill at the south end of the park, built in memory of his wife. The castle was probably designed by Davenport. It is known that John Nash did some work at Clytha in about 1790, and there is indirect evidence that he designed the entrance gateway, screen and lodge.

Jones also did a considerable amount of tree planting, some of which survives, including beeches at the north-west end of the park, the cedar in front of the house, and possibly the plane trees in the southern part of the park. The perimeter of the l790s park was planted with trees, and much of this perimeter woodland survives.

It is assumed that the ha-ha to the south and west of the house was built at the same time as the new house in the l820s. Further tree planting took place in the nineteenth century, including limes, Spanish chestnuts and horse chestnuts. Many of these trees survive as fine mature, mostly isolated specimens. The southern part of the park is particularly well wooded. The strip of woodland to the south-east of the house, along the east boundary, was called the 'shrubbery' in a map of l862.

The gardens lie immediately around and to the north-east of the house. To the south and west are lawns sloping gently down to ha-has. To the north-west is an area of mostly informal tree and shrub planting around a roughly rectangular small lake. Paths are mostly informal and grassed, with a few gravel paths, including one that leads to a stone-arched gateway topped by a medieval stone cross (found on Perthir Farm) known as the Perthir Gate, on the north boundary of the garden. To the east of the house a ridge of higher ground is planted with deciduous trees and evergreen shrub understorey (the 'shrubbery'), and a path winds through it to the edge of the road cutting (A40), where there used to be a suspension bridge.

The gardens were laid out in several stages. The D-shaped kitchen garden in the east corner of the garden was designed and built in the early 1790s by John Davenport.

The area between the house and the lake, and around the lake, was planted with trees, shrubs, and flowers, and some of the trees remain. In a map of l862 the lake was described as the 'pond in flower garden', and on its south-west side is a cast-iron boat shelter probably of nineteenth-century date. There were lawns to the south-east and north-east of the lake, and towards the end of the nineteenth century that to the south-east was planted with conifers, most of which remain. To the south-east of the house was a wooded area called the 'shrubbery' in the l862 map.

This garden is depicted on the Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25-inch map of Monmouthshire XIII, sheet 10 (1901). Its main elements on that map include haw haw, kitchen garden, folly, fountain, fountain, possible formal garden, conservatory, carriage drive, possible flower beds, well, walled garden and a lodge.
C.S.Briggs 17.05.06

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig

Adnoddau Ar-lein