Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

CEFN-Y-WERN;DOWER HOUSE, CHIRK

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 26918

Cyfeirnod Map SJ23NE

Cyfeirnod Grid SJ2807439907

Awdurdod Lleol Wrecsam

Hen Sir Dinbych

Cymuned Chirk

Math o Safle TY

Dosbarth Cyffredinol DOMESTIG

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle A title deed of 1547 confirms Cefn-y-Wern under the ownership of the Edwards family. During their occupancy, the house was rebuilt in 1620 and subsequently enlarged into a multi-gabled mansion. Richard Dutton bought the mansion in 1637 for £1350. After the failure of the Booth rebellion in 1659, Dutton sold Cefn-y-Wern for £2150 to Sir Thomas Myddelton, whose home, Chirk Castle (see nprn 145757), had been partially demolished during the rebellion. It was here that Sir Thomas Myddelton remained until his death in 1666. Cefn-y-Wern continued under the ownership of the Myddelton family until the nineteenth century.

The Denbighshire Inventory of 1911 described the house as a large square three-storey building, which had been much modernised over the years. It stated that it retained some of its initial features such as the original oak timbering and a window with its original mullions. The condition of the mansion gradually fell into disrepair and as such it was demolished in 1956.

RCAHMW Denbighshire Inventory, 1911.
C. Neville Hurdsman. A History of the Parish of Chirk. Bridge Books. p75-76.
RCAHMW, 28 November 2007.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol