Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

ST JOHN'S PRIORY;PRIORY OF ST JOHN AND ST TEULYDDOG (AUGUSTINIAN), CARMARTHEN

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 275700

Cyfeirnod Map SN42SW

Cyfeirnod Grid SN4196620445

Awdurdod Lleol Sir Gaerfyrddin

Hen Sir Caerfyrddin

Cymuned Carmarthen

Math o Safle PRIORDY

Cyfnod Canoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle A church, probably a monastic settlement, existed before the arrival of the Normans in 1093. This was known as Llan Teulydawc. The church was granted to Battle Abbey before the end of the eleventh century and seems to have been a monastic cell. The monks departed when ownership passed to the Bishop of St Davids in about 1125 and a house of Augustinian Cannons was institued in their place. This was disolved in 1536. At this time there were said to have recently been twelve resident canons and that there about eighty persons were daily about the Priory. Following the disolution part of the buildings was converted into a mansion, however, the site seems to have declined from the early seventeenth century.
The chief surviving feature is the late medieval gatehouse (NPRN 100039), now divided into four houses, but retaining its arched entrance. A small fragment of the church is preserved in the wall at the southern corner of Parc Hinds playing fields. The footings and some lower courses of the precinct wall are preserved in the playing field's north-west wall. The conventual buildings were eventually demolished in about 1781 to make way for a lead smelting works. More medieval remains were lost to the railway in 1855-60.
Excavations in 1979 recorded parts of the priory church and cloister, and many human bones. Earlier features included a Roman period ditch and early medieval features.

Sources: James in Archaeologia Cambrensis 134 for 1985 (1986), 120-161
CADW Listed Buildings Database (9508 - Precint Wall; 9506 - Church wall fragment)

John Wiles 23.11.07

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig