Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

ST NICHOLAS'S CHAPEL,BRECON

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 301834

Cyfeirnod Map SO02NW

Cyfeirnod Grid SO0419228475

Awdurdod Lleol Powys 

Hen Sir Brycheiniog

Cymuned Brecon

Math o Safle EGLWYS

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol, Canoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle NAR SO02NW10

Conventual church of Dominican Friary, dedicated to St Nicholas, founded before 1269, attached to secular college from 1541. The Ordnance Survey 1:500 map of Brecon (1888) depicts remains of the nave with north aisle. This is 80m east-west by 32m. The former chancel, adapted as college chapel, is 20m by 10m.

Three main periods of restoration, C17, 1860s, and 1926. Early English style. The chancel of the church of the Friary is now incorporated into St Nicholas' Chapel. Lancet windows. Sedilia under trefoil canopies, partly rebuilt. C17 choir stalls. The nave was ruinous by C17, and the remains lie to the SW of the chapel. Originally 88' x 27'. NW door remains, with round-headed arch with Romanesque style moulding.
(Source CADW listed buildings database)
J Hill 06.10.2003

Part of: Priory (Nprn23170)

Associated with: School (NPRN 25091)

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig