Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

ST PETER'S NEW CHURCH, LLANBEDR DYFFRYN CLWYD

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 302793

Cyfeirnod Map SJ15NW

Cyfeirnod Grid SJ1443559403

Awdurdod Lleol Sir Ddinbych 

Hen Sir Dinbych

Cymuned Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd

Math o Safle EGLWYS

Cyfnod 19eg Ganrif

Disgrifiad o´r Safle St Peter's church is located on the north side of the A494 at its junction with the B5429, set within its own walled churchyard used as a cemetery. It was built in 1863 to designs of Poundley and Walker at the expense of John Jesse of Llanbedr Hall, and replaced the medieval church, now a ruin, 400m to the north NPRN 306844). It is a small mid-nineteenth century Gothic revival church with high quality design and detailing, largely unaltered, and substantially complete in its furnishings and fittings.
The church is constructed of squared rock-faced grey stone with polychromatic bands and voussoirs, bathstone dressings and plate tracery, under roofs of slate; the original purple slate roof with grey slate bands and terra-cotta ridge tiles to the nave (stone wheelcrosses to gables), wrought-iron brattishing with wheelcross to chancel. The church comprises nave and narrower chancel, north vestry with steep hipped Frenchy pavilion roof and two-stage chimney, and gabled south porch to the right of which is a square turret with octagonal open bell stage and stumpy columns supporting a spire topped by a wrought-iron wheel cross.
Inside, the four-bay nave is aisleless with scissor-braced roof trusses, alternately arched-braced and supported on foliated stone corbels and tiny columns with shaft-rings, and to the chancel a wooden compartmented waggon roof with diagonal bracing and carved foliate bosses at intersection points. Fittings and furnishings include French Renaissance style oak organ housed in a moulded arched niche on the north side of the chancel next to the vestry doorway; original choirstalls with raised and fielded, cusped, multi-panel fronts and carved foliate decoration to the bench-ends, with supporting ringed shafts; and encaustic tiled pavement by Maw and Co. Stained glass includes works by Clayton & Bell (contemporary), Shrigley & Hunt (1893), and James Powell & Sons (1886).
Sources:
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
E.Hubbard, Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (1986), p.187-8.

RCAHMW, 29 September 2015

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig