Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

ST JOHN'S PRIORY, BRECON (BENEDICTINE)

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 305724

Cyfeirnod Map SO02NW

Cyfeirnod Grid SO04432900

Awdurdod Lleol Powys 

Hen Sir Brycheiniog

Cymuned Brecon

Math o Safle PRIORDY

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol, Canoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle NAR SO02NW9

A Benedictine priory dependent on Battle, thought to have been established shortly after 1093, dissolved in 1538, subsequently serving as a parish church until constituted as a cathedral 1932: the remains comprise the much restored conventual church (Nprn96574), along with remains of various conventual buildings, including a possible towered gateway (Nprn96202) & the Prior's lodging, possibly with a guest hall (Nprn309174), presently incorporated into 19th century & later building complexes associated with the Cathedral; 'the Almonry', west of the church (Nprn165163), is thought to be medieval in origin: these features are set within a walled precint of medieval origin: the 'tithe barn' (Nprn25110) is thought to be 17th century & later.

Source: RCAHMW 1994 Brecon Cathedral Church - an architectural study.

Associated with:
Medieval & later borough (Nprn32994)
Priory well (Nprn32184).

J.Wiles 12.11.04

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig