Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

THE LLYS AT ABER, HOUSE EXCAVATED AT PEN Y MWD

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 309171

Cyfeirnod Map SH67SE

Cyfeirnod Grid SH6568272635

Awdurdod Lleol Gwynedd 

Hen Sir Caernarfon

Cymuned Aber

Math o Safle TY

Dosbarth Cyffredinol DOMESTIG

Cyfnod Canoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle 1. The llys or princely court at Aber was one of the principal residences of the princes of Gwynedd through the thirteenth century. Repairs are recorded in 1289 and 1303, following the English conquest. Remains were still visible in the early sixteenth century.
Excavations in 1993 recovered the plan of a hall with crosswings at either end, associated with thirteenth and fourteenth century material. The hall was 11.2m by 8.0m internally.
The site lies close by the foot of a castle mound (NPRN 95692). There are several other instances in north Wales of apparently unfortified houses associated with castle mounts, for example Castell Prysor (NPRN 308964), Crogen (NPRN 306558) and Rug (NPRN 306598). In these cases the mount can be regarded as an adjunct to the house, conferring a certain status and arguably furnishing a refuge.

Sources: Johnstone in Archaeology in Wales 33 (1993), 68-9
in 'Landscape and Aettlement in Medieval Wales' ed. Edwards (1997), 63-5
RCAHMW aerial coverage

John Wiles 11.07.07

2. Parchmarks consistent of the Llys foundations were recorded during July 2006 on aerial photograph: AP_2006_3418.

T. Driver, RCAHMW, 16th March 2009.

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig