Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

TOWN HALL, GROSMONT

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 32008

Cyfeirnod Map SO42SW

Cyfeirnod Grid SO4043524381

Awdurdod Lleol Sir Fynwy

Hen Sir Mynwy

Cymuned Grosmont

Math o Safle NEUADD TREF

Dosbarth Cyffredinol SIFIL

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Grosmont remained a borough governed by mayor and coporation until the mid C19, and the Town Hall is a sign of its former importance during the medieval period. The present early C19 Town Hall was built on the site of the old one, which was timber-framed and much larger.
In 1828 The Duke of Beaufort offered to rebuild the market hall, which had fallen into disrepair. The new Town Hall built 1831-2 provided an upstairs assembly room, and a ground-floor market hall.
The external stone staircase on the W side, appears to have been added sometime after 1832, but there were few C19 changes. Bradney's 'History of Monmouthshire' includes a photograph of the Town Hall in 1904 showing the arcaded market hall open to the street on all sides. However, sometime during the earlier C20, the S end was enclosed. The Duke of Beaufort donated the town hall to the parish in 1902.

Source: Cadw Listed Buildings. ALH 05/03/2012

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol