Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

BARRY DOCKS, BARRY

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 34234

Cyfeirnod Map ST16NW

Cyfeirnod Grid ST1240067398

Awdurdod Lleol Bro Morgannwg 

Hen Sir Morgannwg

Cymuned Barry

Math o Safle IARD LONGAU

Dosbarth Cyffredinol ARFOROL

Cyfnod 19eg Ganrif, Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle David Davies' ambitious Barry Docks and Railway scheme was promoted by the Rhondda, Ogmore and Llynfi valley coal owners when Cardiff's Bute Docks proposed increasing their rates by 1d per ton - hence 'the dock built for a penny.' The first (No.1) dock opened in 1889, measuring some 1036m in length and up to 335m wide. Construction of a second dock, to the east, was completed in 1898: No.2 dock is 1017m in length and between 122m and 182m wide.

The peak of the coal exporting trade was reached at Barry in 1913, when over 11 million tonnes of coal and coke passed through the port. Extensive railway sidings served coal hoists at the quaysides. The magnificent Wren-style dock offices (nprn 147) are on the town side with a statue of David Davies (nprn 32761) outside. Much remains in the docks, including a hydraulic pump house (nprn 33739) and machinery, a sliding bridge between Nos.1 and 3 docks, dry docks (e.g. Bailey's Graving Dock, nprn 91514), the sea lock (nprn 308857), railway approaches and surviving stone plinths of the dockside coal hoists.

RCAHMW, February 2011

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig