Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

PLAS TEG, MANSION

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 36160

Cyfeirnod Map SJ25NE

Cyfeirnod Grid SJ28705970

Awdurdod Lleol Sir y Fflint 

Hen Sir Fflint

Cymuned Hope

Math o Safle PLASTY

Dosbarth Cyffredinol DOMESTIG

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle by
Plas Teg manion was commissioned in 1610 by Sir John Trevor MP, surveyor of the Queen's ships. It is a three storey mansion of local grey sndstone with attics and basements, consisting of a central block with corner towers, the upper parts believed to have been later additions to the main fabric of 1610. Ornamental gables and doorcase with scrolled pediment, mullioned windows and wooden cupolas. The architect is thought to be Robert Smythson.

Internally only the staircase, some doorways and a single fireplace remain following recent restoration, externally the house remains close to its original appearance.

Associated with:
gazebo (Nprn23061)
icehouse (Nprn37418)
park/garden (Nprn86737).

J.Wiles 18.11.02

[Additional:]

Plas-teg, Hope, Flintshire. Grid reference: SJ 2870 5970. NPRN 36160.

Plas-teg was one of the houses of the Jacobean court gentry. Its builder, Sir John Trevor, was appointed Surveyor to the Navy in 1598 and accumulated offices and honours with the arrival of James I (1603). Plas-teg was said by Thomas Pennant to have been completed in 1610, and was built to a design by an official in the Royal Works derived from Robert Smythson, the Court Surveyor. Both suggestions are plausible but are not substantiated by any documentary evidence. Smith, Houses of the Welsh Countryside, summarizes the innovative qualities of the house: “His house belongs to a well-known Renaissance type: nearly square on plan, with extruded corner-towers raising a storey above the main roof-line, it clearly bears a family resemblance to Wollaton Hall (Notts.), Hardwick Court (Derbys.), as well as to Ruperra Castle (Glam.), built by another Court official not long afterwards.” The house was altered internally in the C19th, when the roof was renewed with king-post trusses. However, the principal rooms survive along with the monumental Jacobean staircase. The house is associated with a substantial brick stable range. Plan: Peter Smith, Houses of the Welsh Countryside, fig. 133. Description: Peter Smith, ‘Plas Teg’, Journal of the Flintshire Historical Society, 18 (1960), 157-62; Mark Girouard, ‘Plas Teg, Flintshire’, Country Life, 19 July 1962. RCAHMW photo survey by Iain Wright. R.F. Suggett/RCAHMW/Dec. 2015.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig