Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod


Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 36609

Cyfeirnod Map SO51SW

Cyfeirnod Grid SO5155912101

Awdurdod Lleol Sir Fynwy

Hen Sir Mynwy

Cymuned Monmouth

Math o Safle ANNEDD

Dosbarth Cyffredinol DOMESTIG

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle House with a complex history and building history. First the Church of St Thomas the Martyr, and said to have origins as chapel before 1186. Known as King's Chapel by 1500, and in use as place of worship until becoming Dixton Vicarage by 1740. Wyesham Poorhouse by 1815. Private house by 1890.

The exterior is colourwashed stone rubble with a modern tiled roof. Single depth main range runs south-west - north-east with wings to ends forming small yard to rear. One-and-a-half and two storeys. Mainly plastic window frames (but wooden frames remain to left gable end, and rear). Main front faces south-east. To the left, a two storey, three window section with stepped buttresses to each corner. First floor has two windows and a sundial on the right; on ground floor, three windows, (but central window was formerly a doorway). To the right, the oldest part of house has a steeply-pitched roof with catslide dormer, large chimney to right gable end; on ground floor to the left), a porch and to its right, a square window, buttress to corner. The right gable end of this section has lean-to kitchen which extends as wing to rear of house. At attic level, the gable end has trefoil-headed single-light window. Left gable end has rectangular bay window (c1900?) with leaded lights; to rear of this, wing with recessed external stair up to first floor doorway and small-pane window; large ground floor window; hipped roof to rear, window to each floor (ground floor window has modern wooden frame); two chimneys to inner slope of roof. To rear, wings form yard, lean-to extensions on two sides.

(Source: Cadw Listings database) S Garfi 14/11/06

Chofnodion Archifol