Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod


Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 400057

Cyfeirnod Map SS69SE

Cyfeirnod Grid SS6559592927

Awdurdod Lleol Abertawe 

Hen Sir Morgannwg

Cymuned Castle (Swansea)

Math o Safle EGLWYS

Cyfnod Amlgyfnod

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Present church is the fifth or possibly the sixth, to be built on this site, and was re-built in the 1950's following damage during WWII. Documentary evidence indicates that wallpaintings were found during the demolition of 1896. Sources; undated notes by A.J. Parkinson, RCAHMW; St Mary's church website, www.swanseastmary.fs.net.co.uk. 2004.04.13/RCAHMW/SLE
[1] Inscription in black letter - paintings found during demolition of 1896 on W side of chancel arch: black-letter inscription
Morgan, East Gower 115
[2] red vine leaves & grapes - On east wall of nave,north of chancel arch, below [1]; 'red vine leaves and grapes'. Probably mediaeval
[3] painted recess - Plastered recess painted deep red Moragn East Gower, 112
Source: RCAHMW Wallpaintings Database. 2004.09.14/RCAHMW/SLE
List of inscriptions, plus notes about mid-19th century burials, compiled by sexton circa 1830-50. Details held at the British Museum - Ref Add.MSs 34061.
Ex. A.J. Parkinson, March 1975.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol