Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

TREFRIW WOOLLEN MILLS, TREFRIW, GLAN CONWY

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 40830

Cyfeirnod Map SH76SE

Cyfeirnod Grid SH7807663076

Awdurdod Lleol Conwy 

Hen Sir Caernarfon

Cymuned Trefriw

Math o Safle MELIN WLÂN

Dosbarth Cyffredinol DIWYDIANNOL

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Trefriw Woollen Mills is now accommodated in a modern three-storey building in the centre of the village, erected in 1970. The mills originated as an eighteenth century pandy or fulling mill. The modern mill occupies the site of two former mills; a corn mill named as Melin Flawd (flour) (NPRN 423346) and a saw mill, Melin Lifio (NPRN 423347). Both are depicted and named on all thee editions of the historic 25-inch O. S. maps, published in 1889, 1900 and 1913 respectively.
The new mill is powered by electricity generated by two Boving Pelton turbines which drive alternators. The whole process of woollen manufacture is carried out: wool from the UK and New Zealand is blended, carded, spun, dyed and woven here. Tours of the mill can be booked, and the ground floor incorporates a shop where the mill's products can be purchased.

Sources:
Welsh Mills Society published leaflet, 1999
David Gwyn & Merfyn Williams (1996) ‘A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of North West Wales’. Association for Industrial Archaeology.

W J Crompton, RCAHMW, 27 September 2018.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol