Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

ST ETHELDREDAS CHURCH;HYSSINGTON PARISH CHURCH, HYSSINGTON

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 408563

Cyfeirnod Map SO39SW

Cyfeirnod Grid SO3135794571

Awdurdod Lleol Powys 

Hen Sir Trefaldwyn

Cymuned Churchstoke

Math o Safle EGLWYS

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol, Canoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle St. Etheldreda’s Church, Hyssington, is of an uncertain date; it first appears in the historical record in the late thirteenth century, but it has been suggested that it could date back as far as the Anglo-Saxon period due to its dedication to a seventh century saint. It appears most likely, however, to be a post-Conquest foundation. In 1875 the church was almost entirely rebuilt, though earlier masonry was incorporated into the current structure, and little remains to indicate its early origins beyond a medieval font and the Jacobean pulpit. It is a single chambered structure, with a vestry and west double bellcote, in which hang two bells, one inscribed ‘Sancta Etheldreda, ora pro nobis’; ‘Saint Etheldreda, pray for us’. The building is primarily greyish sandstone, with dressings of the same material. The nave is roofed with slate, with cusped ridge tiles, while the chancel roof is of red tiling.
According to local myth the church was terrorised by the Bull of Bagbury, which was eventually shrunk and imprisoned in a snuff box now buried beneath the entrance stone to the church. The stone is said to carry a faint carving of a bull, in the style of prehistoric cave art.

Source: RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 8 December 2008

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol