Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

Some map tiles and images are currently unavailable. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

BEAUFORT ARMS HOTEL; THE ABBEY HOTEL, TINTERN

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 410711

Cyfeirnod Map ST59NW

Cyfeirnod Grid ST5322199909

Awdurdod Lleol Sir Fynwy

Hen Sir Mynwy

Cymuned Tintern

Math o Safle GWESTY

Dosbarth Cyffredinol DOMESTIG

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Parts of the Beaufort Arms Hotel may date back to 1206 when it was inside the original precinct wall of the Abbey (owned by the Duke of Beaufort before Crown ownership from 1901). The earliest trade directory in which it was listed as a hotel was 1835, when it was known as the Beaufort Arms Hotel. The landlord at that time was for many years recorded as being the key holder and official guide to the Abbey. In 2002 the hotel was completely refurbished and renamed the Abbey Hotel.

The hotel appears to retain at least one early structure of probable medieval date, the northernmost of the two linear east-west aligned ranges depicted on the First Edition OS map of 1881.

References: Abbey Hotel's web page; HLCA 013 Tintern (Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust); early postcard, undated.
RCAHMW, 2010.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol