Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

EMPIRE CINEMA, HOLYHEAD

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 416014

Cyfeirnod Map SH28SW

Cyfeirnod Grid SH2468482772

Awdurdod Lleol Ynys Mon

Hen Sir Môn

Cymuned Holyhead

Math o Safle SINEMA

Dosbarth Cyffredinol HAMDDEN

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol, 18fed Ganrif, Amlgyfnod, 20fed Ganrif, 19eg Ganrif

Disgrifiad o´r Safle The Empire Cinema was originally constructed as Newry House in the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century, and it appears under that name on maps of 1820 and c.1840. This property was associated with surrounding gardens and likely also with several nearby parcels of land which are marked ‘Newry’ on the c.1840 tithe map. In the late-nineteenth century it housed a substantial medical practice. It was improved in the late nineteenth century including the addition of outbuildings and is shown in early-twentieth-century as a prominent detached three-storey building with a splayed south-west corner, hoodmolds above windows and doors and large chimneys at both gable ends.

The building was later further altered and subdivided into multiple properties in the early twentieth century, with the addition of a large two-story extension, and it is in this period that took on its current distinctive round-fronted form, likely in conjunction with its conversion for use as a cinema c.1920. Certainly the 3rd edn O.S. map of 1924 shows the distinctive curved western corner and names the building as ‘Empire Theatre’. The theatre has undergone several refurbishments with the additions of new technology and increase and decrease of screens throughout the twentieth century in order to adapt to changing markets and consumer expectations – most recently a major renovation in 2013. These renovations have removed most of the features, with the exception of the stone walls, of the original early structure, as well as most of the early features and details of the early-twentieth-century cinema.

The building presents a three-storey rendered Art Deco-style façade reflective of the c.1920 remodel but is largely obscured from view from the street by a smaller neighbouring building to the south (No 37 Stanley Street). The eastern end of the curved façade is of four bays with a single door in the ground floor above which runs a plain moulded cornice. The second and third storeys have sash windows, the north-easternmost alighted, one above the other, the others alternating – two in the second and fourth bays of the third storey and one in the third bay of the second storey. A parapet with a moulded cornice runs atop the curved façade, obscuring the older roofline of the building. This parapet is stepped up above the two westernmost bays of the curved façade, in which is the entrance to the cinema. These two bays have small square third-storey sash windows, paired narrow second-storey sash windows and first-story entrances in recessed bays, above which runs a moulded cornice.

[Sources: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edn 25” O.S. maps (1890, 1900 and 1924); Tithe Maps accessed via places.library.wales; C. Rees and M. Jones, ‘Building Recording & Analysis at Empire Cinema, Stanley Street, Holyhead’ C.R. Archaeology on behalf of Isle of Anglesey County Council (2013); GAT Regional Historic Environment Record, PRN 59422; Gareth Wyn-Williams, ‘Holyhead's Empire cinema plans second screen after revamp success’, Daily Post, 17.12.2016]
A.N. Coward, RCAHMW, 27.11.2018

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol