Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

LLANSANFFRAID GLAN CONWY VILLAGE

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 423973

Cyfeirnod Map SH87NW

Cyfeirnod Grid SH8023075985

Awdurdod Lleol Conwy 

Hen Sir Dinbych

Cymuned Llansanffraid Glan Conwy

Math o Safle PENTREF

Dosbarth Cyffredinol SIFIL

Cyfnod Amlgyfnod

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Llansanffraid Glan Conwy is a small village situated on the A470, approximately a mile and a half south east of Llandudno Junction. It lies on the eastern shores of the Conwy estuary, hence the second half of the village name - 'Glan Conwy' means 'on the banks of the Conwy.'
The first edition of the 25inch Os maps, published in 1875, depicts a fairly small village centred around St. Bridget's church (NPRN 12501). Amenities at the village included a railway station on the London and North Western Railway (LLandudno Junction and Blaenau Ffestiniog branch), a post office, the Wheatsheaf Hotel, the Britannia public house, a police station, a National School for girls and boys and a smithy. About a third of a mile north east of the village nucleus was another small cluster of houses and Peniel Welsh Independent chapel (NPRN 7785). To the south was an isolated chapel Wesleyan Methodist chapel (NPRN 7791). Little had changed in the village by the time the second edition of the 25inch maps was published in 1900. The Wheatsheaf had become the Conwy Vale Hotel, and a chapel had been built near the church - Bryn Ebenezer Calvinistic Methodist chapel (NPRN 12502).
By the late twentieth century, Peniel Welsh Independent chapel had fallen into disuse and seems to have been converted for residential use. Both the church and Bryn Ebenezer remain open, although Bryn Ebenezer is now a Presbyterian church. The isolated Wesleyan Methodist chapel of the nineteenth century has been engulfed by the expanding village, although it remains open as a Methodist place of worship. Glan Conwy primary school, located just south of the church, educates approximately 120 pupils aged three to eleven. The village's post office has remained open in the same location as in 1875, as has the railway station. Neither the Conwy Cale Hotel nor the Britannia Inn seem to have survived into the twenty-first century, although there is a public house called the Cross Keys by the post office. Llansanffraid Glan Conwy has numerous other facilities such as a numerous eateries, a football club, a memorial hall, a surgery and a plant nursery.
Sources: modern and historic OS maps; Google maps; Estyn report on Ysgol Glan Conwy, published in January 2017; www.ebcpcw.cymru - the Welsh Presbyterian Church website.
M. Ryder, RCAHMW, 11th February 2019

Chofnodion Archifol

Adnoddau Ar-lein