Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

STANLEY EMBANKMENT, A5 HOLYHEAD ROAD, HOLYHEAD

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 43064

Cyfeirnod Map SH27NE

Cyfeirnod Grid SH28457982

Awdurdod Lleol Ynys Mon

Hen Sir Môn

Cymuned Valley

Math o Safle SARN

Dosbarth Cyffredinol CLUDIANT

Cyfnod 19eg Ganrif, Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Thomas Telford's causeway between Valley and Holy Island was the last stage of his great road between London and Holyhead (A5) (NPRN 402349). The Stanley Embankment is 1.2km long, some 35m wide at the base, and up to 4.8m high. It crosses Beddmanarch Bay and was opened in 1823. There is a quay built into the north side (NPRN 402350). The causway was built in one year by Gill and Hodges and was opened in 1823.

It is similar in design to Telford's earlier causeway, The Mound at Dornoch in north east Scotland, which was constructed between 1814-16 to carry the Great North Road (A9) across Loch Fleet. Both embankments still carry the A5 and A9 respectively and both were later widened to carry railways.

Source: David Gwyn & Merfyn Williams (1996) ‘A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of North West Wales’. Association for Industrial Archaeology

B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 20 December 2007.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig