Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

WILLIAM WILLIAMS PANTYCELYN TOMB AND MEMORIAL, LLANFAIR AR Y BRYN

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 467

Cyfeirnod Map SN73NE

Cyfeirnod Grid SN7699635170

Awdurdod Lleol Sir Gaerfyrddin

Hen Sir Caerfyrddin

Cymuned Llandovery

Math o Safle BEDDROD, COFADAIL COFFA

Dosbarth Cyffredinol COFFA

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle This obelisk memorial is situated within the churchyard of St Mary's Church (NPRN 103828). It was erected in 1886-1887 in memory of the Reverend William Williams, hymnodist and preacher (1717-1791), who lived nearby. The memorial, by J Rogerson of Liverpool, replaced (but reproduced) the original inscription, which can be found on the stone slab lying flat in front of it.The memorial is Grade II listed for its historical importance in commemorating an influential figure in Welsh history. William Williams' writing desk is housed in the vestry of St Mary's Church.

The memorial is constructed of polished red Aberdeen granite and has incised decoration with some unpolished mouldings. It stands on a large pedestal with neo-Grec cross-gabled cap with incised leaf-scroll ornament over frieze with greek key ornament. The shaft is inscribed at the front with a copy of the original inscription to William Williams, and on the side with a copy of the inscriptions to his wife and family. The main inscription reads 'Sacred to the memory of the Rev William Williams Pant-y-Celyn in this parish author of several works in prose and verse. He waits here the coming of the morning star which shall usher in the glories of the first Resurrection when at the sound of the Archangel trumpet the sleeping dust shall be re-animated and death shall be swallowed up in victory. Born 1711 died Jan 11 1791 aged 74 years' The base has incised neo-Grec anthemion ornament around it.

Sources include:
Cadw, Listed Buildings Database

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 18 March 2013

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig