Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod


Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 506294

Cyfeirnod Map SN69SW

Cyfeirnod Grid SN61629318

Awdurdod Lleol Arforol

Hen Sir Arforol

Cymuned Maritime

Math o Safle IARD LONGAU

Dosbarth Cyffredinol ARFOROL

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Sales particulars dating to 1862 show a short section of wharf on the west side of the Leri next to the road. It seems likely that 19th century shipbuilding activity, pre-dating the coming of the railway, would have been based around this wharf (the location of the modern boatyard).

Event and Historical Information:
In 1842, a shipyard was developed near the road bridge. The vessels built here included the sloops MARY AND ELLEN in 1843, MARY REES in 1842, CLAUDIA in 1850, PRISCILLA in 1855; the brigantine ISLAND MAID in 1851; the schooners GLEANOR and RESOLUTE in 1849; and smack CATHERINE in 1864. John Jones, the most prolific shipbuilder on the Dyfi in the 19th century, is known to have worked at Ynyslas.

Sources include:
Davies, T, 2004, Borth: A Seaborn Village, pg35
Green, C C 1993, The Coastlines of the Cambrian Railways, Vol 1: Machynletth to Aberystwyth
OS 1st Edition

Maritime Officer, RCAHMW, August 2009.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol