Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

HALL STREET ENGLISH WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH, LLANELLI

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 6452

Cyfeirnod Map SN50SW

Cyfeirnod Grid SN5053200617

Awdurdod Lleol Sir Gaerfyrddin

Hen Sir Caerfyrddin

Cymuned Llanelli

Math o Safle CAPEL

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Hall Street Chapel was first built in 1838, then rebuilt in 1856 by architect James Wilson of Bath. The present building is Gothic in style and of the gable entry type. The tower and spire were modified by architect William Griffiths of Llanelli in 1896. The building is listed Grade 2.

RCAHMW, June 2009

Hall Street is important for being one of the first gothic chapels in Wales and moreover in fully correct `church-gothic' with a large traceried window in flowing-decorated style of the later fourteenth-century and a tower and spire that could have been drawn from a medieval church. The Wesleyans were a highly centralised denomination with an integrated Welsh/English structure and were largely English-speaking. For these reasons a professional architect approved by the central estates committee and usually based in England would be chosen so that a building-grant could be received from the central organisation. In this case the architect was James Wilson who introduced the Gothic Revival style to the Wesleyans in the 1840s and the large gable front with traceried window at Llanelli is similar to one he built at Bath ten years previously.

Stephen R. Hughes, RCAHMW, 06.09.2007

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol