Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod


Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 93019

Cyfeirnod Map SS87NE

Cyfeirnod Grid SS8818076958

Awdurdod Lleol Bro Morgannwg 

Hen Sir Morgannwg

Cymuned St Brides Major (The Vale of Glamorgan)

Math o Safle CASTELL

Dosbarth Cyffredinol AMDDIFFYN

Cyfnod Canoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Ogmore Castle was established by William de Londres as early as 1116 on the south bank of the Ewenny. It remained in the possession of Londres family until 1298 when Maud de Chaworth married Henry Lancaster. It stayed under the Duchy of Lancaster until it was taken over by the crown in 1399. The castle was abandoned between the 1530s and 1631; with the exception of the Court House, which was still in use until 1803.

The surviving remains include a sub-oval enclosure that includes a stone keep. The keep is one of the earliest examples of its type in Wales and was built in the early twelfth century possibly by William de Londres' son Maurice. It was originally a two storey building but a third storey was added at a later date with the addition of a stair turret and garderobe abutting the left side. The gatehouse, surviving as a small rectangular structure, is located to the south east of the keep and is part of the curtain wall. The entrance has a segmental arched head and the stone abutments of the draw bridge still survive. To the north east is a late twelfth century cellar with two small flanking bays to the entrance. The curtain wall, hall and remaining internal structures, gateway and bridge were built in the early thirteenth century. A single-storey, rectangular Court House is located to the north of the outer bailey, with a circular circa 1300 limekiln situated to the south west.

Source: RCAHMW 1991 Glamorgan 3.1a 'the Earlier Castles', 274-288.
Cadw Listed buildings database, record number 21793
Kenyon, J.R. and Spurgeon, C.J. 2001. Coity Castle, Ogmore Castle, Newcastle, Cardiff: Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments.

RCAHMW, 10 March 2008.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig

Adnoddau Ar-lein