Nid oes gennych resi chwilio datblygedig. Ychwanegwch un trwy glicio ar y botwm '+ Ychwanegu Rhes'

Boathouse, Llanfoist; Llanfoist Warehouse

Loading Map
NPRN34548
Cyfeirnod MapSO21SE
Cyfeirnod GridSO2845813031
Awdurdod Unedol (Lleol)Monmouthshire
Hen SirSir Fynwy
CymunedLlanfoist Fawr
Math O SafleWARWS
CyfnodÔl-Ganoloesol
Disgrifiad
The Warehouse and wharf (nprn 91672) on Abergavenny-Brecon Canal was built probably 1825. It has 2 storeys and 5 bays.
Llanfoist Wharf was where the tramroad from Blaenavon Ironworks and Garnddyrys Forge reached the canal. The warehouse was used for the storage of iron from Garnddyrys Forge (34137) prior to shipment on the B & A Canal (85124). The canal as a whole was linked to many tramroads and was important for trade in iron, lime and coal. Llanfoist Wharf lies within the section completed in 1812 under William Crossley but it, together with its buildings, would not have been constructed until 1825. This building was formerly known as Hill's Warehouse and was built to store iron pending transit along the canal. It went out of use in 1860s when the tramroad was superseded by the railway and later became a boat-repair yard. Gradually the railway took traffic off the canal and eventually it was bought out by the Great Western Railway. Restoration work began in 1964.

Rubble stone, 2 -storey 5-bay boathouse with hipped slate roof on projecting eaves. The lower storey is open-fronted on square freestone piers and wooden lintels. The upper storey has 7 replaced windows, larger to the centre, in freestone surrounds. End walls are single-bay. Now a private dwelling and boat workshop.

R Hayman, Hayman & Horton, 5/2/2003