Nid oes gennych resi chwilio datblygedig. Ychwanegwch un trwy glicio ar y botwm '+ Ychwanegu Rhes'

St Peter's Church, Church Road, Blaenavon

Loading Map
NPRN96484
Cyfeirnod MapSO20NE
Cyfeirnod GridSO2512508778
Awdurdod Unedol (Lleol)Torfaen
Hen SirSir Fynwy
CymunedBlaenavon
Math O SafleEGLWYS
CyfnodÔl-Ganoloesol
Disgrifiad
St Peter's church lies in an extensive churchyard on the left bank of the Afon Lwyd. It was built in 1804 for Tom Hill & Sam Hopkins, ironmasters of the Blaenavon works, and donated to the parish. It is a simple Regency Gothic church and has a variety of features in cast iron so it acts as an advertisement for the works (see NPRN 34134). The 1st edition OS County series (Monmouth. XII.9 1880) captures something of the churchyard's early layout and planting.

The church consists of an aisled nave and chancel with a tower rising from the west end of the nave. The walls are of quarry-faced stone with some finer dressings. It has simple pointed windows with Y-shaped glazing bars. The entrance is in the south wall. The four stage tower has a small spire and battlemented parapets. The interior is ornate. The aisle arcades have slender cast iron columns that support galleries and rise no further. The stairs to the gallery are set either side of the tower and there is also a cast iron font at the west end. A wide and high arch separates the nave and chancel. The vestry is a later addition, first shown on the 2nd edition County series map of 1901.

The churchyard features a fine group of five stone chest tombs with cast iron slabs, one belonging to Sam Hopkins. It had been massively extended by 1901.

Source: CADW Listed Buildings Database (15273-4)

John Wiles, RCAHMW, 27 February 2008.