Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

LLANRWST GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 23384

Cyfeirnod Map SH86SW

Cyfeirnod Grid SH8018461726

Awdurdod Lleol Conwy 

Hen Sir Dinbych

Cymuned Llanrwst

Math o Safle YSGOL RAMADEG

Dosbarth Cyffredinol ADDYSG

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle 1. The Old Grammar School, dates from C17 (the school was founded circa 1612), and was incorporated into 19th century and later school. The attached Master's house was probably a rebuilding of an earlier 19th century building with the upper storey rebuilt in late 19th century.


2. The exterior of the building is as follows: The Former schoolmaster's house faces roughly SE. It is a three storey, four window block with three storey crosswing to the right. It has a slate roof, a squared rubble to entrance front with random rubble elsewhere. It has a pair of cylindrical stone chimneys to L, a group of six cylindrical stone chimneys across the ridge; roof with wide overhang to the left gable. It has four steeply pitched dormer roofs, each with 3 brackets; a pair of horned sash windows to each dormer window. On the first floor there are two-light windows (mullioned and transomed) under deep grey stone lintels. There are three ground floor windows (three light mullioned and transomed) under deep grey stone lintels; a fourth bay has porch with parapet (with a statue of a griffin over); square-headed entrance doorway with boarded and nailed door. The gabled crosswing has, to the right, a group of 7 cylindrical stone chimneys. On the second and first floors, two-light window (mullioned and transomed) under deep grey stone lintel; former ground floor window now doorway. To rear of former schoolmaster's house, attached at a right angle, is a former Old Grammar Schoolroom. The building has 17th century origins, which were restored early C19, and then incorporated into the later school as library. The Exterior is obscured by later buildings.

It has a roof of six bays with five pegged arch-braced trusses with cusping above collars; all except the S truss have rose bosses. There are three tiers of stop chamfered purlins with small cusped windbraces. There is a ventilator louvre to fourth bay from N. Flat roofed dormer type windows and skylights have been inserted. There are mullioned windows with deep splays, generally of two lights, but window to N wall three lights; diapered iron casement glazing. There are two doors to W elevation and one to the E; there is also a blocked doorway to S wall used as recess for books. Walls are in scribed render.

3.Included for rare survival of C17 school room despite many alterations and additions. C19 and later additions to north, south, and west of Old Grammar Schoolroom, late C19 school, and modern school buildings not included.

SOURCE: M Seabourne, Schools in Wales 1500-1900, 1992, pp. 35-36.

Chofnodion Archifol