Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

CEFN BYCHAN VIADUCT;NEWBRIDGE VIADUCT

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 87010

Cyfeirnod Map SJ24SE

Cyfeirnod Grid SJ28544116

Awdurdod Lleol Wrecsam

Hen Sir Dinbych

Cymuned Cefn

Math o Safle TRAPHONT REILFFORDD

Dosbarth Cyffredinol CLUDIANT

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle The Cefn Bychan viaduct carries the Shrewsbury to Chester Railway over the River Dee between Newbridge and Cefn-Bychan. It was built to the design of Henry Robinson of Llantysilio, the chief engineer to the Shrewsbury to Chester Railway, in 1846. Thomas Brassey was the general contractor, and it was completed in August 1848 at a cost of £72,346. The Shrewsbury to Chester line was initiated by Robinson, who had received his training under George Stephenson, and he recognised the need, not met by the canals, to transport materials to Wrexham and Chester. The line became part of the Great Western Railway system in 1854.

The viaduct is a fine example of early railway design and is constructed of coursed and squared rock-faced sandstone, the upper arched stage of brick faced with stone. It is 460m (1,508ft) long, comprising 19 arches of 18.2m (60ft) span, rising 46m (147ft) above the river. The main piers are tapered upwards to the springing line, above which the arch voussoirs are recessed behind the face. Above, the low parapet is carried on a corbel table.

RCAHMW, 4th September 2008

Sources:
RCAHMW AP94-CS 0170
RCAHMW AP945022/49; 965133/56
Edward Hubbard, Clwyd, Buildings of Wales series, 1986, p.116.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig