Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

TREFIGNATH BURIAL CHAMBER

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 95535

Cyfeirnod Map SH28SE

Cyfeirnod Grid SH2585880546

Awdurdod Lleol Ynys Mon

Hen Sir Môn

Cymuned Trearddur

Math o Safle BEDDROD SIAMBR

Cyfnod Neolithig

Disgrifiad o´r Safle NAR SH28SE1

A ruinous megalithic moument situated on a long and almost bare rocky ridge.
The Trefignath chambered tomb is a Neolithic ceremonial or funerary monument of some complexity. It was built in three separate stages from about 3750-3500 BC and is thought to have been active until about 2250 BC. The structure was greatly damaged in the last decade of the eighteenth century and the cairn that surrounded the stones was largely removed in 1870. It was excavated in 1977-79 before being consolidated and restored for public viewing.
The monument was built over a scatter of occupation debris including flints and pottery. This was dated to about 3100 BC by a radio carbon determination.
The first stage of the monument was a small chamber set in a cairn up to 4.0m across. It opened to the north via a short passage.
The second stage saw a larger chamber built on the east side of the first stage monument, whose cairn was incorporated in a much larger wedge shaped cairn defined by drystone walling. The new chamber opened onto a recessed forecourt at the eastern end.
In the third stage a new chamber was built in the second stage forecourt and the cairn was extended around it. This final chamber had tall portal stones on the east standing more than 2.0m high. Fragments of bone were found in this eastern chamber.

Sources: RCAHM Anglesey (1937), 22-3
Lynch 'Prehistoric Anglesey' (1970), 30-32
Smith in Antiquity 55 No. 214 (1981), 134-6
Smith & Lynch 'Trefignath and Din Dryfol' Cambrian Archaeological Monograph 3 (1987)

John Wiles 10.08.07

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Adnoddau Ar-lein